Registration deadline: October 21, 2022
The regional office of UN Women is looking for organizations and groups to drive dialogue and engagement on gender equality, to support consultations between UN Women and civil society, and to help inform UN Women priorities and strategies in the region.
Members will be selected from institutions working in the region. This is a voluntary role, lasting 2 years. Institutions (NGOs, CBOs, networks, research institutes, etc.) with a proven track record in gender equality, women’s rights and empowerment are encouraged to apply for the advisory group of 12 members.
The objectives of CSAG are:
- Foster strategic dialogue and engagement, with a view to addressing the root causes of gender inequalities and advancing the goals of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Provide a forum to enable mutually beneficial consultations between UN Women and civil society and leverage the expertise, experience, reach and rich and diverse networks, perspective and knowledge that civil society can deliver in a timely and efficient manner.
- Serve as a consultative forum to agree on regional priorities and develop joint strategies to inform UN Women programs.
The role and function of the regional CSAG is to provide:
- A dual role of advising but also advocating for key strategic areas of intervention that will address existing gender inequalities and develop agreed frameworks of engagement and support to inform the work of UN Women at the regional level.
- Contributions to UN Women during the formulation of key strategic documents, e.g. the regional strategy note, regional programs and in the identification of priority thematic areas for the region.
- Provide feedback on the work of UN Women, including how to streamline, for example by participating in annual retreats and engaging with respective country representatives.
- An overview of political, social, economic and cultural developments and trends to consider in UN Women’s engagement in the region.
- Perspectives on regional scenarios and contribution to positions on key issues, including for intergovernmental processes.
- Strategic advice on an advocacy program to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in the region.
- Contributions to strengthening UN Women’s engagement with civil society at regional and country levels.
- Support, where necessary, UN Women’s partnership with civil society, in relevant intergovernmental processes and forums.
Membership of the R-GCSA will be at the institutional level and not at the individual level to ensure members’ availability for meetings. Institutions will be required to assign a focal person and alternates they deem fit to serve on such a high-level advisory group. Such an arrangement should help avoid quorum issues as it is highly likely that there will always be someone who can step in in the event that the main focal person cannot make it to the scheduled meeting.
The regional CSAG will be composed of 12 members of diverse gender identities representing institutions committed to the core values of the United Nations and the mission of UN Women. Institutions should have a proven track record in their respective fields, preferably with strong credentials as gender, development and/or women’s rights advocates.
- UN Women will disseminate the call for applications, including through existing regional and national networks/coalitions, organizations and movements for gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment.
- Nominations must include the following: Name of organization and contact details of organization and contact details of nominee; a brief profile and description (less than one page) explaining why the organization would be a suitable CSAG candidate.
For more information: